Monday, November 16, 2009

BATTLING THE BEAN!

For the past five days I've cut out my coffee intake. That's a big deal since I normally do 6-8 cups a day. After battling mood swings that go from being easily aggravated one minute to being totally depressed the next, I'm not sure I can keep away from the Starbucks much longer. Pray for me!

I've been reading from the book of Judges (for the umpteenth time) and again find myself amazed by the repitition of Israel's bad behavior and God's faithful deliverance. It's like a broken record! Here's the cycle:

Israel does evil in the eyes of the Lord -- God punishes Israel with foriegn oppressors -- Israel repents and cries out to God -- God raises up a Judge to deliver Israel.

That cycle repeats itself over and over. It gets frustrating to see how cold Israel continually grows in her commitment to Almighty God, especially when He keeps rescuing her again and again. What's that definition of insanity again?

But the truth is, I relate far to well with Israel to stay frustrated for very long. Ultimately, I just end up humbled and extremely grateful to God for His faithfulness and mercy.

In all honesty, this is like the 10th time I've tried to kick the coffee habit over the last 15 years. I've rationalized it over and over. Trust me, I know that a recent medical report described the benefits of drinking coffee. That report has caused me to go back and forth a couple of times arleady...and it (along with that great aroma, smooth taste, and warm sensation) will probably keep me fighting the battle over the bean for the rest of my life!

And if I'm really honest, I'll be fighting battles over besetting sin for the rest of my life too. That's why I thank God for His faithfulness, just like we find in Judges! Here's a verse I get jazzed about even without a caffiene kick: "If we are faithless, He will remain faithful" (2 Timothy 2:13). That makes me want to keep on keeping on...how about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment