Monday, July 12, 2010

THE QUARRY YOU CAME FROM

"Look to the rock from which you were cut and to the quarry
from which you were hewn..." (Isaiah 51:1)
This week I'm preaching for a "Revival" at a great little country church in Corinth, KY called Antioch Church of Christ. A cemetery surrounds the small brick church building which stretches all the way back to the early 1800's. My dad, grandfather, great-grandfather, and great-great-great grandfather are all buried there. One day I'll be buried there as well.
It's meaningful at a deeply personal level to stand among the dear people at Antioch, encompassed by such hallowed ground, and preach the gospel of Christ. It's even emotional at times. It certainly takes me to that passage in Isaiah in which God says, "Look to the roch from which you were cut and to the quarry from which you were hewn."
Have you touched your "roots" lately? There's something about "looking to the rock from which you were cut" that is intensely challenging. It can be humbling and inspiring, sobering and stimulating all at the same time.
God had a reason for telling His people in Israel to do this. He wanted them to look back to their forefather Abraham and remember that though he had a humble beginning, God ultimately blessed him greatly. Isaiah 51:2 says, "look to Abraham, your father, and to Sarah, who gave you birth. When I called him he was but one, and I blessed him and made him many."
The Lord wanted the remnant in Israel to be reminded that even though they felt small and alone, that God could bless them if they stayed faithful to Him. When I look back to the "quarry from which I was hewn" it certainly reminds me of God's faithfulness through hard, lean, troublesome times. How about you?
The "rock" I'm cut from is made up of a lot of farmers and soldiers. So when I look back to my "quarry" it reminds me of Paul's challenge to Timothy to serve Christ like a "good soldier" and a "hardworking farmer" (2 Tim. 2:3-7).
So, this week what encouragement and insight can you take away from looking back to the rock from which you were cut and the quarry from which you were hewn?

No comments:

Post a Comment